Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Everlasting Spell

The Everlasting SpellThe Everlasting Spell by Kristin Ravelle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In this engaging novelette, a college student finds out about a love spell and wants to use it to make her crush fall for her. She visits Celandrium, a shop that sells different spells, including this one. Despite being warned that the spell is irreversible, she decides to go ahead and try it anyway.

Well, it works, but it works too well. This reminded me a bit of the movie, The Craft, where a love spell was used. And as with most things in life, there are drawbacks to spells, even if they are not intended to be used for dark purposes. This story made me feel nostalgic as I remember attempting to do spells in my youth with friends who also loved The Craft. I've always been a skeptic, so I never really believed any of it would actually work. And of course, it didn't. But in this story, it does, and the implications of that are quite interesting. I must say it's far more preferable to have someone fall for you willingly and in a more organic way.

The writing in this flowed smoothly, and it was easy and enjoyable to read. I have to admit I was hoping for it to be a bit more sinister, but it was a light read, and regardless, Sabina's plan to solve her problem is quite questionable! I recommend this to anyone who enjoys YA and paranormal stories.

*Disclosure: I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.


Click here to purchase The Everlasting Spell (Celandrium Shop Tales Book 1) on Amazon!

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review, Danielle! Admittedly, finding a solution to an irreversible spell is a bit challenging. I'll have to go check out the move, The Craft, as I've never seen it. With appreciation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome, Kristin! I was glad to read it. And yes, you should definitely check out The Craft. :)

    ReplyDelete